The Fifth Symposium on Polar Science
Symposium has been closed.
The Fifth Symposium on Polar Science will be held at the National Institute of Polar Research (NIPR), Tokyo, Japan, from 2 to 5 December 2014. The NIPR is organizing this annual symposium to present and promote a wide variety of polar scientific research and interdisciplinary studies. The symposium includes a special session, the theme of which is “Frontiers of polar science: Novel developments in Arctic and Antarctic observations.” From the perspective of both the similarities and differences between Arctic and Antarctic research and observations, we will discuss current findings of investigations in both regions and will lay the foundation for polar science in the next generation. Accompanying this special session will be parallel sessions, which will include ordinary sessions and interdisciplinary sessions. We look forward to your active participation.
The symposium will be held at the National Institute of Polar Research (NIPR), the Institute of Statistical Mathematics (ISM) and the National Institute for Japanese Language and Linguistics (NINJAL) located adjacent to the NIPR.
Address of the National Institute of Polar Research: 10-3 Midori-cho, Tachikawa, Tokyo, Japan
2-5 December, 2014
Outline of the sessions
- [IA] Rapid change of the Arctic climate system and its global influences
-New research results from the GRENE Arctic Climate Change Research Project, 2014
- [IB] Biogeochemistry in the seasonally ice-covered Antarctic Ocean
- [IM] Middle atmosphere and thermosphere
- [IP] Interdisciplinary physical phenomena within the multiple spheres in polar regions
- [IQ] Quaternary variations and future projection of climate and ice sheets in Greenland and Antarctica
- [IS] Progress of polar sciences by satellite observations
- [OS] Space and upper atmospheric sciences
- [OM] Polar meteorology and glaciology
- [OG] Polar geosciences
- [OB] Polar biology
- [OA] Antarctic meteorites
|OG & OA
|Eve||IA&IQ Joint Party|
- Symposium Banquet:
On the evening of 4 December, the NIPR will host an informal buffet-style banquet at the Tachikawa Grand Hotel. All symposium participants are welcome to attend.
Details including entrance fee for the banquet, access map, and bus service are described here.
- Session parties:
On the evenings of the 2 and 5 December, some session conveners will host small informal buffet-style parties with drinks and food after the afternoon session.
Details including entrance fee for each party are described here.
- extended to 12:00 JST on 26th September, 2014 (JST = UTC + 9 hours, i.e., it is 03:00 UT on 26th September.)
*Application for registration, abstract submission and travel support has been closed.
Tel: +81-42-512-0701, Fax: +81-42-528-3479
National Institute of Polar Research
10-3 Midori-cho, Tachikawa, Tokyo 190-8518, Japan