International Symposium “Above the Permafrost: How Climate Change and Resource Development Are Changing Local Life in the Arctic”
Keynote speeches on the themes of relation between the issues of globalization and resource development in the Arctic and the climate change will be followed by 15 papers that should be presented at 5 sessions on physical and cultural aspects of land use, political economy of environment, indigenous strategy for cultural heritage, change and continuity of people’s livelihood, and the impact of permafrost degradation. A session by junior scholars will also be held in advance of the symposium.
Outline of the Symposium
- Date：December 14-16, 2022
- Venue：Slavic-Eurasian Research Center, Hokkaido University
- Form ：in-person
- Please access here (Slavic-Eurasian Research Center, Hokkaido University) for registration and other details.
* Everyone interested is welcome to participate in the symposium.
- Sponsored by: Research Program “Human Society” and International Research Exchange Program “East Asia in the Arctic” in the Arctic Challenge for Sustainability II (ArCS II)
Platform for Explorations in Survival Strategies at the Slavic-Eurasian Research Center (SRC), Hokkaido University
Center for Northeast Asian Studies (CNEAS), Tohoku University
- Supported by: Japan Consortium for Area Studies (JCAS)