[CLOSED] Call for Research and Observation Proposal from Early Career Scientists Using R/V Mirai 2023 Arctic Cruise
In accordance with the objectives of the Arctic Challenge for Sustainability II (ArCS II) project, especially for Priority Subject 1. “Capacity Building and Research Promotion”, Early Career Scientists (ECS) from not only Japan but also other countries are invited to apply for a research and observation plan using the research vessel MIRAI (R/V Mirai) Arctic cruise to be conducted from August to October 2023.
This call for application started before the decision to grant a subsidy for the ArCS II project in FY2023 so that this program could be started smoothly after the decision. Note that there may be changes made in the future.
Tentative Cruise Plan of R/V Mirai 2023 Arctic Cruise
- Target area: Pacific Arctic region (PAR) (Beaufort, Chukchi, and northern Bering seas)
- Tentative cruise schedule:
Aug. 25, 2023: Departure from Shimizu, Japan
Sept. 3, 2023: Arrival at Dutch Harbor (DH), AK, USA
Sept. 5, 2023: Departure from DH (Research and observation in the PAR)
Oct. 4, 2023: Arrival and Disembarkation at DH
- Note that the details of this cruise are described in Appendix 1
- Graduate students affiliated with a university in Japan or other countries.
- Early Career scientists affiliated with universities or research institutes in Japan or other countries. Note that research scientists should be within 7 years of obtaining their Ph.D. or younger than 40 years old (as of April 1, 2023).
Deadline for the Application
12:00 UT on October 20, 2022 (21:00 JST on Oct. 20, 2022)
Application Guidelines and Other Documents
You can download the application guidelines and other documents for this call from the link below. Please carefully read them and submit your proposal according to the guideline. The application process and necessary information can be found in these documents.
- Application guidelines for research and observation proposal from Early Career Scientists using R/V Mirai 2023 Arctic cruise
- Appendix 1: A tentative cruise schedule and planned main missions of R/V Mirai 2023 Arctic cruise
- Appendix 2: List of laboratories and instruments available/prepared for use onboard R/V Mirai
- The latest COVID-19 Criteria for Embarkation and Visiting Vessels of JAMSTEC
- Appendix 3: JAMSTEC/MarE3 Criteria for Boarding Ships for Prevention of COVID-19 Outbreak for Non-Mariner Personnel (Mar. 22, 2022)
- Appendix 4: Supplement for JAMSTEC/MarE3 Criteria for Boarding Ships for Prevention of COVID-19 (Aug. 9, 2022)
- Appendix 5: JAMSTEC/MarE3 Criteria for Visiting Ships for Prevention of COVID-19 Outbreak (Apr. 1, 2022)
- Appendix 6: Policies for the JAMSTEC/MarE3’s Responses to the COVID-19 during the Cruises (Mar. 22, 2022)
* Kindly note that the attached requirements (Appendix 3-6) are subject to change according to future circumstances, so please follow the latest version at the time of R/V Mirai 2023 Arctic cruise.
Contact / Administration in Charge of This Call
JAMSTEC ArCS II support office
at the Institute of Arctic Climate and Environment research, Research Institute for Global Change, Japan Agency for Marine-Earth Science and Technology (IACE/RIGC/JAMSTEC)
Address: 2-15, Natsushima-cho, Yokosuka, Kanagawa, 237-0061, JAPAN