The Sixth Symposium on Polar Science
Symposium has been closed.
The Sixth Symposium on Polar Science will be held at the National Institute of Polar Research (NIPR), Tokyo, Japan, from 16 to 19 November 2015. The NIPR is organizing this annual symposium to present and promote a wide variety of polar scientific research and interdisciplinary studies. The symposium includes a special session, the theme of which is "Warming in the Arctic and Its Influences – GRENE Arctic Climate Change Research Project and the Next New Directions". We will discuss current outcomes of the GRENE Project and directions of the new project of the Arctic research.
Accompanying this special session will be parallel sessions, which will include ordinary sessions and interdisciplinary sessions. We look forward to your active participation.
The symposium will be held at the National Institute of Polar Research (NIPR), the Institute of Statistical Mathematics (ISM) and the National Institute for Japanese Language and Linguistics (NINJAL) located adjacent to the NIPR.
Address of the National Institute of Polar Research: 10-3 Midori-cho, Tachikawa, Tokyo, Japan
16-19 November, 2015
Outline of the sessions
- [S] Warming in the Arctic and Its Influences – GRENE Arctic Climate Change Research Project and the Next New Directions
- [IA] Rapid Change of the Arctic Climate System and its Global Influences -New research results from GRENE Arctic Climate Change Research project, 2015-
- [IB1] Biogeochemical studies in the seasonally ice-covered seas
- [IB2] Systematic Analysis for Global Environmental Change and Life on Earth (SAGE)
- [IG] Giant reservoirs of heat/water/materials : Global environmental changes driven by the Southern Ocean and the Antarctic Ice Sheet
- [IM] Middle atmosphere and thermosphere
- [OS] Space and upper atmospheric sciences
- [OM] Polar meteorology and glaciology
- [OG] Polar geosciences
- [OB] Polar biology
- [OA] Antarctic meteorites
Outline of the sessions
|16 Nov (Mon.)||AM||OS||OB||OM||OG||OA|
|17 Nov (Tue.)||AM||IM||OB||IG||OA|
|18 Nov (Wed.)||AM||S|
|Eve||Evening Session on "Long-term Plan for Arctic Environmental Research"|
|S＆IA Joint Party|
|19 Nov (Thur.)||AM||IA||IB2|
Style and language for presentation
Presentation style is either oral presentation or poster presentation. We ask you to indicate your preference at the timing of abstract submission. The symposium organizing committee will make a decision for style of each presentation.
Language for oral presentations is English as a rule. However, we also accept oral presentations in Japanese. Slides for oral presentations must be written in English. In poster presentations, English must be used at least in abstract and explanations for figures and tables.
About environment of the poster presentation
This year, poster sessions will be held at the Entrance Hall of NIPR on the 1st floor, collecting all posters presented for the symposium. The environment of the poster presentations will be improved as compared to previous years, in terms of spaces and accessibility between different research fields. Each poster can be displayed for two days including a core time for each poster. We plan to use poster boards with a size of 1170mm in horizontal width, 870mm in vertical width, and with top height of 1800 mm. The board is for landscape type posters. However, portrait type poster can be displayed as well using the horizontal width of up to 1170 mm.
Abstract submission will open at the 4 August 2015, on the symposium web site.
Deadline for abstract submission: 4 September 2015
*Application for abstract submission and travel support has been closed.
*Deadline for pre-registration for participation is November 16th.
- 3rd Aug
- Pre-Registration opens.
- 4th Sep
- Abstract Submission finishes.
- Notification of acceptance for the Abstract Submissions.
- End of September
- Release of session arrangement on the web. Notification of the schedule of presentations.
- End of October
- Release of Programs of presentation on the web.
PDF version of the symposium program is now downloadable.
Please see main menu (left top) in this page.
- 6th Nov
- Release of Abstract PDFs on the web
Tel: +81-42-512-0679, Fax: +81-42-528-3497
National Institute of Polar Research
10-3 Midori-cho, Tachikawa, Tokyo 190-8518, Japan
Email: symposium2015[at] nipr.ac.jp